Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is the Purported Death of Media Over?



Ed has been noticing a lot of good media news lately. Just in our staff alone, we've had six new full-time hires since December. But don't take our anecdotal evidence for it. Media seems to be reviving itself, as there have been a ton of new magazine and website launches, including Elizabeth Spiers' TheGloss.com and Crushable.com, the Deen Bros' Good Cooking mag, and some as-yet-unannounced "new quality print products" at Condé.

And it seems that advertisers agree.

According to Outsell's annual advertising and marketing study, overall spending on marketing and advertising will be $368 billion this year, an increase of 1.2 percent over 2009.

In addition, for the first time, money spent on digital advertising will exceed that spent on print by 2.2 percent thanks to a a 9.6 percent boom in digital advertising in 2010.

But wait, it gets better. According to Forbes.com, ad spending for magazines will rise this year by 1.9 percent, to $9.4 billion. That number reflects a spending boost of 4.2 percent for consumer titles and 1% for B2B.

Happy job hunting, Edsters!

Do you agree that more jobs are popping up now than in the past two years? Do you feel like the industry is growing again? Share your own experience in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. As a recent graduate who JUST landed his first job, I can tell you first-hand that there has been a SIGNIFICANT increase in the amount of postings and industry whispering. I recently sent my resume to insiders at Esquire and Good Housekeeping for Editorial Assistant positions. I know Interview was also looking for one. It seems to me that things are finally on the rebound.

    But that's just my perception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree to an extent. While I think things are going to get significantly better, it still leave me to wonder just how much the industry will recover. The dovetailing of a bad economy and decline of print has shaken magazines and newspapers to their foundations, so while a slight recovery is imminent, the battle between print and online media continues...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a recent graduate who JUST landed his first job, I can tell you first-hand that there has been a SIGNIFICANT increase in the amount of postings and industry whispering. I recently sent my resume to insiders at Esquire and Good Housekeeping for Editorial Assistant positions. I know Interview was also looking for one. It seems to me that things are finally on the rebound.

    But that's just my perception! dublin hotelsmusica de salsa

    ReplyDelete